October 30, 2011

Whew. I got my habitat challenge quilt done! It seemed a little dicey for a while, but I finished just in time for our guild's reveal yesterday!

This is probably the most inventive quilt I've done so far - I am still not sure if I like it even, but it is interesting to say the least.

IMG_1276

I started out with the idea of doing a sort of wonky chevron, with my pieces being differeing heights and not meeting up, sort of like this pillow, but my strange "quick strip-ish piecing" method my tired brain came up with was. not. working. Just ended up wasting a bit of the fabric. (more than I would have liked! I wish I could have used less of the coal)

anyways, I cut what was left into 60 degree diamond shapes of differing sizes, and sewed them back together with some kona coal in a sort of expanded/free pieced/de-constructed chevron/friendship braid. Kinda cool, kinda weird at the same time.

I quilted it to emphasize the chevron-ness, in some places, the chevron gets lost, especially in the grayer areas.

I also learned something about thread during this quilt! I bought a different brand of thread for quilting this one, (Gutermann 100% cotton) and my machine does not like straight line quilting with it. At all. even with a walking foot. it was kind of weird. uneven stitches galore! But later, I put the Gutermann with a free motion quilt foot...and hoo boy. I found a perfect thread for FMQ! I'm so excited, FMQ has eluded me with my normal thread brand, and now I can really get going practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment